Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Grahanams and customs(kastams)...

I neither know the scientific theory nor the astrological theory about eclipses. All I know are the following:

1. I should not go out during “grahanam”
2. I should stop eating few hrs before “grahanam”
3. “Dharbam” to be put in water and food items
4. Once the “grahanam” is over, I need to take a bath with “durbham” water
5. I can eat only after the bath

And yesterday it was another “grahanam” day and had to go through the customs(kastams) once again since it was a holiday (Republic day). Let’s see what was waiting for me...

After finishing our cricket match, we dropped our usual plan of going to “Saravana Bhavan” for breakfast as we had to have early lunch. So I went home and had to settle with bread and jam in place of ghee roast and sambar :-( . I was told by mother that I need to finish lunch by 12.30 pm as the “grahanam” starts by 2.30 pm. Generally a late eater (1.30-1.45 pm) during holidays, had to reluctantly finish my lunch by 12.30. After surfing few TV channels, around 1.45 pm, I decided to take a nap as I had slight headache and was feeling very tired because of play. When I was actually settling down well, my mother woke me up around 3 pm and told that the “vathiyar” would reach shortly I need to get ready for “grahana tharpanam”. I respect our rituals a lot and above all my father. Hence, inspite of having a banging headache, I got ready after having a “head bath”. “Vathiyar” came around 3.30 pm and the ritual was over in 10 mins. My mother told that I need to take a “head bath” again after “grahanam” and “vathiyar” too emphasized the same and left. I strongly refused as my head was still banging and my mother was clearly not so happy. I was dying for a cup of coffee and some biscuits to eat but the “grahanam” is still on. I tied a cloth to my head and laid down silently in the sofa waiting for the “grahanam” to get over.

Atlast, I guess it was over by 4.30 pm and I got my cup of coffee and biscuits with a “disprin” around 4.45 pm. At that moment, my feeling was akin to that of Tom Hanks in the movie “Castaway” when he got his first light of fire…

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are some scientific reasons behind all these rituals. However, I do not believe they should apply the same way in the modern world as it applied thousands of years ago.

What about the vegetables that lay in the open in the Koyambedu market? What about the poor people who take tea and coffee even during the Grahanam time and all those non-Hindus who do not follow this?

We also go and buy fruits and vegetables (most likely kept in the open during Grahanam time also) post grahanam and eat it :)

Anonymous said...

A wet cloth to your stomach would have helped you to resist hunger

or

You could have slowly brought down the cloth that was tied to head which would have helped you to hide mouth (Crunching Biscuits) from your MOM.

Daari said...

Yes murthy anna, I agree with you.

Daari said...

Sarathy, would follow your ideas next time :-)

PRK said...

sprinkling of few drops of _Manjal thanni_ is akin to taking a headbath :) , keep that in mind, really helps sometimes .... :)

Daari said...

Dei Prk, its an escapism.. Thanks anyway for posting ur comment

Pramod said...

Loved reading this bit...very casual yet makes you ponder.

I have always wondered about the reasonss behind our rituals. Homams to get rid of Doshams etc etc.

I am sure there is a valid reason for many (or most) of our rituals, but one of things our culture was not string in is Documentation. The meaning and reasons have beeen lost in the generations or misrepresented along the way without applying common sense.

An eg. using firewood for cooking on occassions. In those days that was the only fuel available. I dont think the Gods will be angry if we use LPG to cook, but the scholars want food cooked with firewood, because thats what happened years ago.


As for the Grahanam, I am sure the radiations during an eclipse are diffferent to normal sun rays and the headbath and darbam perhaps negates the effects of those rays on our body.

Anonymous said...

Dear Prasanna,

I saw it. I have a different opinion...................on all this rituals.

It should either be divine or crap.

A person who thinks it is crap, cant do it for the sake of it. A person
who thinks it is divine shall do it religiously.

Am the former person. Believe in Anbe Sivam and not all this rites.

Anyways, opinions differ.
And i liked when you said "I have high degree of respect to my
father".......

Regards
Prashanth

Anonymous said...

Good one - referring cast away wasn't that good an idea. (its like quoting - I felt so sad and touched as if I were an audience to the movie "Nanda", directed by Bala. Nothing wrong, but all bala movies not just the "nanda" of his, you feel the same.)


All (in fact almost every) Tom hanks movies - you have got mail, terminal, etc, its the same pattern. A big relief in the end!!!!

But nonetheless a nice one.

Anonymous said...

Good one. Keep posting more..

Sharath said...

I love our customs and traditions and have always enjoyed the special ceremonies and the feel good factor that comes with them. I dont have a problem with most of the practices. On a seperate note I love TAM BRAM weddings- esp one of your friends/relatives-
Nice post! Keep writing

Cheers
S

Daari said...

Sharath,

Thnx for your comments. I too like our marriage tradition. Its a great opportunity to meet and get to know your relatives. But for marriage, dont think u can mingle with ur relatives in this fast-paced life...

Anonymous said...

Ellam ok....ana una Tom Hanks oda comparee pannariyaeeeeee......!!!!

Daari said...

mouli,

ulla vei ulla vei