Saturday, February 7, 2009

Naan Kadavul disappointed me but not Bala...

I saw the movie yesterday evening. It was definitely one of the much awaited films which have been under productions for close to 3 years. Very few long produced movies have been successful in the past. Generally when a movie (I am talking about only the off-beat movies) is under-production for a long period and released amid great expectations, either of the following two things happens:

1. Content and screenplay would go for a toss and ultimately fail badly at box-office; (or)
2. The movie could be a well made, critically acclaimed one but fail to succeed commercially (according to me, couple of kamal movie but far “Aalavandhan” could fit into this category)

I generally rate movies under the second category if I get a personal satisfaction after watching them which I failed to get after watching Naan Kadavul (NK). It’s not right on my part to say that it was a total let-down. Definitely it’s a laudable effort for the reasons which I have mentioned in my forthcoming paragraph. Not so convincing last 30 mins plot and non-occurrence of two of my favorite songs, “Amma un pillai” and “Oru Katril” (I missed the first 10 mins but I don’t think it would have come in the initial frames) definitely dissatisfied me and reserved my decision of not rating NK under the second category.

I enjoyed all of Bala movies but as a person, I developed a hatred feeling on him as he used to mock Brahmins in his movies (Instances: couple of scenes in his Sethu and Pithamagan). But after watching a special program about the making of NK and the movie, he scaled to new heights as a humanitarian. The movie predominantly features all kinds of real-life beggars – physically and mentally challenged; eunuch etc. It was really touching to see the way Bala moved with the people without any animosity. Simply for this reason alone, I strongly recommend everyone to watch the film and motivate Bala’s humanitarian efforts...

6 comments:

PRK said...

it dissapointed me too...
actually the way its marketed is wrong...
it being promoted as an arya movie, but actually its not.... many felt dissapointed coz of that...

Unknown said...

Why is that Bala is always taking up the story line which revolves around people who are mentally challenged? In each of his movies he has done the same thing.

R Sathyamurthy
http://www.sathyamurthy.com
http://www.arasiyal.com

Anonymous said...

I am an ardent fan of Bala, so my expressions here could be a little strong, bear with me. Disclaimer to start with!
A lot of people and one of the web site reviewers were wondering the lack of screenplay. If you keenly follow Bala's style of movie making – he relies on forming a crude character first and let the character emote to a series of events and human relations. The climax of all his films say one thing – the lead characters realize there is nothing to look forward to from the common society and returns to its old state –
Sethu, returning to the asylum,
Nanda deciding to die in his own mothers' hands, get back in his mom's womb/lap.
Pithamagan deciding to go back to his grave yard and

guess Rudran also does the same.
This style of movie making doesn't need a screenplay nor a capitalistic logic. Well, try this – you will struggle to elucidate stories of any of his previous ventures, you will be able to only give one-liners. Even if you know the story line, it does not reduce an iota of interest while you watch it.
If you read about the subject - film making, you can infer the most difficult genre of movie making is to forming an off beat character, just evolving it in the minds of audience and leaving them intriguing. I feel Bala is one movie maker (I don't like the word director to be associated) who has the latent power to carry a charater, which is a very rare commodity even amongst directors across globe. Acid test – you can't say you got remembered about some one else movie, when you watch his movie. It always will have his own stamp.
You can't associate this quality even with his Guru – the great Balu Mahendra. J Mahendran for a short while was doing what Bala ( to some extent Ameer) are doing. Names such as Mani Rathnam, no doubt are good directors. But you always wonder where he got his inspiration from (true for his master piece Nayagan, Roja to the recent Yuva/Ayutha Ezutthu. They are all inspired); Having said that, I don't think I can ever grow to comment on such a master like Mani Rathnam's work.
Rediff critics such as Raja Sen (I am itching to get a little abusive, when I wrote that freakin north Indian name), have created a stupid/
amateur template form of movie critiquing– writing about good side and the down side of the movie. The fact is they will take another two/three decades to become decent critics, even if they put their effort from now on! These guys are equipped to comment on Kuruvi/Villu and co. I am surprised that these bugging bloggers in rediff and sify have given decent remarks about the movie.

Buddy - Forming opinion and expressing the same are civically your fundamental rights. Nobody can take it away. The same time, you need to be clear what you want to comment on – Bala as a movie maker, or Bala as a humanitarian. I really don't mind even if you abuse and hate him because he is anti-bramin, or because he is lean, who smokes dope, etc. Its your right.
However I don't think we have the ability to get critical of works from a guy like Bala, sad thing, he is bloody born in a third world nation, like ours. He will be admired differently, if he is born elsewhere. Some 7 years back, I was like you, I guess. I really loved his first one Sethu and with hell lot of expectations went to watch his Nanda, couldn't really appreciate beyond a point and started reasoning out why it is not great - Yuvan's music, so gory, the thought of mother killing her boy, etc. Now, when I watch it, I guess I could truely appreciate his work on Nanda… real great.
I bet – you will be able to watch NK, just like any other movie of him, anytime post 5 years or 10 years, unlike others. I can't imaging sitting and watching something like a gentlemen/Rajini. That's the difference. Don't really worry how the commerce of the movie is. In this economic condition, if the movie is not releasing in UAE by next week, I might catch a flight and come down to our Chennai – Just to watch his movie…that probably highlights his accolades.

Pramod said...

interesting......yetto watch the movie. Abhiyum naanum was the latest i saw and loved it!!!

Sunny Pal said...

Have not seen the movie.. before it was released, there was a lot of hype abt it and had planned to definitely watch it.. but the reviews really dampened my interests.. would rather watch Delhi 6 :)

Vallabh Viswanath said...

Wish I had time like ram to post a comment more than the size of the original blog. Let me keep it short by saying we should refrain from putting down creators like Bala for thier brave efforts in the context of current shit that is thrown at us in the name of commercial cinema. In future, if the audience evolve iam sure cinema like nan kadavul will only be those which will do well commercially.